Sunday, October 21, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie - 22g

I don't remember where I got this recipe, but as soon as I made it, I knew it would become aregular. Both my kids will eat it, it's pretty simple to throw together, makes enough to have leftovers the next day.

I don't make this as often as I used to because technically it's really not low carb. When I first started making it, I wasn't following my low carb diet at all because I was pregnant with constant nausea and a meat'egg/cheese aversion. When I did start watching carbs again, I was allowing myself 25g per meal, which may be crazy high to some doing low carb, but this totally worked.

I also used to add a potato and a bottom crust to it, which would put it at more like 35g+ so those are out fo sho.



Chicken Pot Pie
1 Pillsbury pie crust
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter
1/2 tsp pepper
1 3/4 cups chicken broth (1 14 oz can)
1/2 cup milk
2 1/2 cups shredded chicken or turkey
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables

Pre-heat oven to 425. Line casserole dish with foil. (I like an easy clean up!)

In a pan, cook the chicken. I generally add some salt and pepper to the meat while cooking.

In a large, deep saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. With a whisk, stir in flour, salt and pepper until well-blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk, stirring and cooking until bubbly and thickened.

Pour cooked chicken and vegetables into the pan and mix it all together. Spoon the mixture into the casserole dish and top with a pie crust. Because the crust is round, you will have to gently stretch it and cut off one of the sides to make it cover the entire pie.

Bake 30 minutes or until crust is golden.

Makes 8 servings

The counts
Net Carb: 22g
Protein: 19g
Fiber: 2g
*All counts listed are based on my best guesstimation and not necessarily correct. Remember to check the specific nutritional content of the brands you are using as each one is different.

No comments:

Post a Comment