Sunday, October 7, 2012

tuna casserole - 19g

When a friend offered to set up a meal calendar when my daughter was born, I jumped at the idea. I mean, free, healthy, ready-to-eat meals when you have a newborn are like gold and I knew I'd be starving from nursing and exhausted from not getting any sleep so there was no way I was turning that offer down.

My neighbor signed up to bring us tuna casserole and I admit that I wasn't sure I'd like it. I'd never actually had tuna casserole. I liked tuna salad sandwiches okay. I love sushi with tuna rolls and white tuna being my favorite, but sushi grade raw tuna is way different from canned. When she told me what was all in the casserole, I probably made a face:

Canned tuna. eh.
Peas. yuck.
Mayo. blah.
Pasta. Carb heaven.
Cheese. Yum.

I'm glad I'm willing to try new things because I think I ate the entire casserole single-handedly in a day. I added mushrooms to bulk it up some and because I like mushrooms. :) My neighbor's recipe uses egg noodles, but thanks to Dreamfields Pasta I was able to make it lower carb!


Tuna Casserole
2-3 cans tuna, drained
1 can peas, drained
1 can mushrooms, drained
1 can cream of mushroom soup
6 Tbs mayonaisse
2-3 cups mozzarella cheese
1 box Dreamfields Low Carb Penne Pasta

Boil pasta, drain and set aside.

While pasta is cooking, mix the rest of the ingredients, saving some cheese to sprinkle on top.

Combine everything into a casserole dish, sprinkle cheese on top and bake at 325 for 30 minutes or until cheese is brown.

(Or, if you're lazy like me, just combine everything in a tupperware dish and skip the baking part because you're too hungry to wait 30 minutes and the hot pasta warms up the rest of the food so it can be eaten immediately. :)

Makes about 6 servings.

The counts
Serving size: 1 cup (Technically, a serving of the pasta is 1/2 cup.)
Net Carb: 19g
Protein: 47g! Wow. Tuna has a lot of protein in it.
Fiber: 12g
*All counts listed are based on my best guesstimation and not necessarily correct. Remember to check the specific nutritional content of the brands you are using as each one is different.

No comments:

Post a Comment