Sunday, October 14, 2012

Gruyere and Bacon Spread - 9g

I love Pinterest.

There. I said it.

I'm generally quite resistant to new fads. I'll hear about them, roll my eyes and move on. I don't jump on bandwagons immediately.

This was how I was with Pinterest. And then it seems everyone I know had joined and every day there were multiple Facebook posts and I kept seeing these brilliant ideas, so I finally gave in and clicked over, which was death to my No Way Am I Joining stance.

(I should note that Facebook was one fad that I did jump on. I think I was the first of my friends to get on there. It was lonely for a long time.)

Anyway.

Pinterest. I joined but I am happy to say that I'm not just a pinner. I've already lost count of all of the things I've tried. Crafts, household tips, Halloween ideas for my niece's Haunted House Birthday Bash we're doing this year in our basement, and, of course, food.

When I saw this pin, I knew I would be trying it as soon as I could get to the store. I didn't care if it was low carb or not. It was going to be eaten by me.

I did change a couple of things. The recipe calls for 3 1/2 CUPS of onions. Holy onions, Batman! That's overkill, right? Especially since I don't love onions. And our garden onions are insanely strong. I cut it down to 1 cup and it was still quite oniony. I also used full fat sour cream because I'm a daredevil like that and I just had regular mayo. I have no idea what "canola mayo" is and saw nothing at the store that mentioned canola oil in it. :::shrugs:::



Carmelized Onion, Gruyere and Bacon Spread
Adapted from Cooking Light
November 2011

cooking spray
1 Tbs butter
1 cup chopped onion
4 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded and divided
2 Tbs chopped fresh chives, divided
1/3 cup mayonaisse
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
4 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled

Preheat oven to 425. Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Coat the pan lightly with the cooking spray. Melt the butter. Add onion and saute for five minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low. Cook 20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occassionally.

Reserve 2 Tbs of cheese. Combine remaining cheese, onion, 1 Tbs chives and remaining ingredients in a bowl.

Transfer the mixture to a 1-quart dish coated lightly with cooking spray. Sprinkle with reserved cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining chives and serve on baguette slices.

~~~~

I used a wheat baguette in the bakery department of my Kroger. The bag says a serving is 6 pieces and 24g, which is way more than I could eat, so I kind of made up my own serving size for this to make it more low-carb and appetizer appropriate. I think the dip made about 20+ spoonfuls. It's hard to tell because I lost count because we ate it so fast. ;) Delish!!

The counts
Dip
Serving size: 2 Tbs.
Net Carb: 1g
Protein: 2g
Fiber: >1g
 
Bread
Serving size: 2 slices
Net Carb: 8g
Protein: 2g
Fiber: .5g
*All counts listed are based on my best guesstimation and not necessarily correct. Remember to check the specific nutritional content of the brands you are using as each one is different.

No comments:

Post a Comment