Sunday, August 19, 2012

1905 Salad, aka "Our Salad"- 6g net carbs

Once upon a time, shortly after my future husband and I started dating, he had to go to King's Bay, Georgia from some military training for a month. He had weekends off while he was there, so he flew me down to visit him... three times. :)

On our first trip, we drove to St. Augustine, Florida for some sightseeing and ate at Columbia Restaurant.

I don't remember what I ordered that night to eat because he ordered their 1905 Salad and kindly let me have a bite... which turned into half his salad. We asked the waiter about it and he said the recipe was available on their website. Since then we have made it hundreds of times... it's sooo good. And thankfully, low carb at 6g net!

(As a side note, their Sangria de Cava recipe is on there, too. We also got that and make that regularly as well! Instead of your normal red wine-based sangria, it's sweet and fruity!)

This salad is amazing. And I don't usually like vinegar-based dressings. Or swiss cheese. Or olives. According to their website, it was chosen by USA Today as one of America's Top 10 Best Salads.


My actual lunch today.
I highly suggest you double this recipe, because you will likely eat it all immediately.

The link to the recipe online is different from the one I wrote down, so I don't know if they changed it or what, but here's mine:

Salad
1/2 head lettuce
2 tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup ham, jullienne style
1/2 cup swiss cheese, julienne style
1/4 cup black olives
2 tsp grated Romano cheese

Dressing
1/8 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced (we like garlic, so we tend to do 5)
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

The counts
Net Carb: 6g
Protein: 16g
Fiber: 2g
*Remember to check the specific nutritional content of the brands you are using as each one is different.

No comments:

Post a Comment