Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Incredible Edible (Boiled) Egg

Eggs are definitely a staple of a low carb diet. Low calorie, 6g of protein and 0g of carbs. Versatile little things, too, so I'm sure I'll have lots of egg recipes that will get posted at some point.

Once a week, I boil a dozen eggs and eat them with my morning breakfast wrap. (Ole XTreme High Fiber tortilla wrap, a slice of ham, boiled egg and cheese, microwaved for 30 seconds. 5 grams!) However, I suck at boiling eggs. It takes forever, They never come out the same and half of the white ends up in the trash when I peel it. I've tried all the tricks I could find - using older eggs, using fresh eggs, starting the water cold, adding things to the water, cooking for different times, different types of eggs, etc. None of it worked for me so I resigned myself to using my As Seen On TV Eggies, even though they were kind of a pain in their own way, too.

Then a friend posted a link to a Pinterest page about baking your "hard-boiled" eggs.

I decided I'd give it a try and couldn't believe that IT ACTUALLY WORKS!

Lauren at The Burlap Bag suggests 325-350 degrees for 30 minutes but my friend said hers worked at 320 and since my oven seems to burn things easily, I went with 320.

Lauren also came up with the idea to use a mini muffin tin, which is brilliant!

I could do two dozen at a time... which may be necessary soon since my
two little ones seem to love eggs as much as I do and like to have them for snacks.

After baking, some of them might have brown spots on them.
This usually goes away after the next step, though sometimes you'll have
little brown spots on the egg white where it was resting in the tin. Doesn't bother me though.

Next up: Ice bath for 10 minutes or so.
This cools them down and stops the cooking process so the yolks don't turn green.

And peel! So easy, my 3-year-old can do it.
 (Like my fingernail? My niece taught me how to do that! She probably found it on Pinterest, too.)

Perfectly done!

This is absolutely how I will always "boil" my eggs from here on out! And now I can finally try to make deviled eggs! Just need a good recipe...

No comments:

Post a Comment