Saturday, August 11, 2012

peach cobbler - 7g

Every August, a little bit of heaven comes to my life as my neighbors row of peach trees are covered in fruit and they graciously let us have as many as we want.

One of my favorite things to do is make peach cobbler, but between the sugar and the bisquik, the carbs are outrageous so if I do splurge and make it, I have to be sure that there are lots of people around so it all gets eaten immediately and I don't eat the whole thing by myself.

Because I will.

So, imagine my thrill when I found out about Carbquik! A low carb Bisquik knock off!




(Image from netrition.com)


I ordered some and just got it in the mail the day before when my husband came home with a bag of peaches saying, "We need to get over there. The peaches are so ready that when you pick one, two others fall off the branch." They are delicious! (Store-bought fruit and veggies do NOT compare to fresh picked.)

I was expecting a bag of Swerve sweetener (0 carbs!) in the mail any day so I trotted out to the mailbox and there it was!





(Image from swervesweetener.com)

I immediately went inside and set out to try my hand at a low carb peach cobbler.
Also, we made some peaches and cream with the Swerve and it was fabulous! Tasted exactly as if I'd used real sugar!

Yes, I had two desserts last night. It was fabulous and I was still way under my carbs for the day. :)


2 cups Carbquik
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 Tbs water
3 Tbs Swerve for the biscuit
5 cups washed and sliced peaches (I like a lot :)
2 Tbs Swerve for the peaches
1 tsp Swerve to sprinkle on top

Preheat oven to 375. Line a glass casserole dish with tin foil (I'm all about easy clean up.)

Mix the peaches in a bowl with the 2 Tbs Swerve. Spread these out in the pan.

Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl. The result is kind of dry and flaky, but when you smoosh it, it holds together nicely. Add 3 Tbs Swerve. I made little hamburger-sized patties, squashed down to about 1/4 inch and laid them on top of the peaches until the pan was mostly covered. Sprinkle about 2 tsp Swerve all over the top.

Bake for 15 minutes or until biscuits start browning.

The result wasn't too shabby. The Carbquik has a kind of funny smell/flavor, but once I added the Swerve, it tasted pretty good. I topped mine with some Redi Whip and it improved the flavor a lot.

The counts
Serving size: 1 cup (about 3/4 cup peaches, 1/4 cup biscuit) plus 2 Tbs. Redi Whip
Net Carb: 7g
Protein: 7g
Fiber: 15g!
*All counts listed are based on my best guesstimation and not necessarily correct. Remember to check the specific nutritional content of the brands you are using as each one is different.
 
What's your favorite dish that uses fresh peaches?

1 comment: