Sunday, September 16, 2012

caprese salad - 4g net carbs

I love me a caprese salad.

I first had one at Joe & Mimma's Italian Pizza restaurant in Newport News, Va. I had never had one and was iffy about it when my co-worker ordered it. One bite and I was hooked.

Then, I discovered Campari tomatoes. They are a bit expensive at the store, but they are so delicious that I buy them anyway. Then we discovered that we could dry out the seeds and plant them in our garden so now every summer we are overloaded with the best tomatoes ever.

What to do with them? This little appetizer, of course!


Caprese Salad
1/2 cup of sliced tomatoes
1.5 ounces of sliced mozzarella cheese
olive oil to drizzle over
salt, pepper and basil to sprinkle

That's it. To make a big batch for a cookout, I've actually cut things up into bite sized pieces and just mixed it all together, but I like it this way best.

The counts
Net Carb: 4g
Protein: 1.5g
Fiber: 9g
*Remember to check the specific nutritional content of the brands you are using as each one is different.

No comments:

Post a Comment