Sunday, September 9, 2012

Mom's Spaghetti Sauce - 7g

My mom makes the best spaghetti sauce ever. She tweaked this recipe from one she saw in a magazine until she got it just right. It is incredibly easy to make and freezes great, so I tend to triple the batch in order to have tons leftover and spaghetti can be a quick go-to meal that I know everyone will eat.

I did do my own tweaking earlier this year: I added pureed canned carrots and green beans to hide in the batch. The first time, I put too much green beans in and you could definitely taste them. I've got it down now though, and even my picky niece forgets they are in there and devours it.

Mom's Spaghetti Sauce

1 lb ground chuck (or ground turkey)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 29 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 12 oz can tomato paste
1 Tbs parsley flakes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp pepper
1 bay leaf
2 cups water

Brown meat with onions until no longer pink. Drain. Add remaining ingredients. Heat over medium heat until sauce starts to bubble. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf.

As I said, I triple this recipe and to that I add 2 cans of green beans and 1 can of carrots that I have pureed.

Mom's recipe makes 3 quarts... adding the veggies probably makes about another quart. Triple the entire thing, and I end up making 12 quarts at a time. I freeze them in tupperware containers that hold 3-4 cups each so all I have to do is pop 1-2 of them in the microwave to thaw out whenever I need them!

Combine them with Dreamfields Low Carb Pasta (5g net carbs per serving) and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and you've got a complete, healthy meal! Sometimes, I also sautee some zuchinni and mushrooms in a little bit of olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder to add to it. So yummy!

The counts (for the sauce only without pureed veggies)
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Net Carb: 7g
Protein: 7g
Fiber: 2g
*All counts listed are based on my best guesstimation and not necessarily correct. Remember to check the specific nutritional content of the brands you are using as each one is different.

No comments:

Post a Comment