Wednesday, September 19, 2012

"Hershey's" chocolate syrup - 2.5g

I love Pinterest.

(FYI: There may be quite a few posts on this blog that start off like that.)

So I'm sitting outside while the kids are playing in the sandbox, browsing around Pinterest on my laptop. I come across this pin for a homemade Hershey's chocolate syrup recipe. I look at the ingredients and know I can copy it with my Swerve sweetener, making it low carb.

But how will it taste...?

I decided to give it a shot after the kids went to bed and sure enough it tastes great! This is so exciting to me for multiple reasons. Now I can add some to my almond milk and have a chocolate milk fix - or even splurge and drink some real chocolate milk and not go into a sugar coma! Also, my kids love chocolate milk but with 20g of sugar in Hershey's and 14g in Quik, I don't love giving it to them. Not to mention that I always cringe when we run out because the price just keeps going up!

I even had a Hershey's Lite (ick!) bottle that was almost empty that I could clean out and relabel for my own low carb syrup!!



Low Carb "Hershey's" Chocolate Syrup
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/4 cups water
1 1/2 cups Swerve sweetener
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
dash of salt

In a large saucepan to prevent boiling over, combine the cocoa, water, sweetener and salt over medium heat. Mix with whisk until smooth. Stir constantly until it boils, allowing it to boil for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla.

It will be very watery but after it cools it will thicken. Keeps for several weeks in the fridge.

Makes almost 2 cups. A serving size according to Hershey is 2 Tbs.

Edit: This does crystalize in the fridge, but I just pop it in the microwave for 20-30 seconds then shake it up and it's back to being all liquidy goodness.

The counts
Net Carb: 2.5g
Protein: 2g
Fiber: 3.6g
*Remember to check the specific nutritional content of the brands you are using as each one is different.

No comments:

Post a Comment